- This event has passed.
Harlem Wednesday Gospel Walking Tour
March 22 @ 5:15 pm - 8:15 pm
Harlem Wednesday Gospel Walking Tour features a Harlem walking tour guided by born and raised Harlem resident followed with visit to one of Harlem’s most historic churches. Although on a Wednesday, this is a serious Gospel church service not to be confused with a gospel show or concert.
- Harlem Wednesday Gospel Walking Tour starts with a Harlem walking tour visiting many sights pertinent to 1920’s Harlem: original sights of the “Cotton Club” and “Savoy Ballroom”. We will “stroll” along grand Harlem boulevards through some of Manhattan’s most beautiful architecture, guided by a born and raised Harlem local.
- Harlem Wednesday Gospel Walking Tour is complimented with portable pictures, sound and video. Imagine walking the historic Harlem boulevards listening to Billie Holiday during the year 2015 – “The Year of Day” If you dress the part, it could be like something out of a movie. Attention will be paid to impact religion has on Harlem and social justice/civil rights issues.
- We end at one of Harlem’s most historic churches to experience an authentic Harlem gospel church service, part singing, part preaching, part giving. We appreciate all Harlem congregations for allowing guests and work hard to follow all rules,during this Harlem Wednesday Gospel Walking Tour.
- NO backpacks allowed in church on this Harlem Wednesday Gospel Walking Tour – usually on Sunday mornings guests leave their back packs in our Harlem Heritage Tourism and Cultural Center, but this tour meets at another location = Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture @ 515 West 135th Street @ north west corner of 135th Street and Malcolm X Blvd.
- No flip flops or shoes that reveal any part of your foot – please pay attention to this on Harlem Wednesday Gospel Tour during the summer months.
- On this Harlem Wednesday Gospel Walking Tour no revealed shoulders or legs above knee – please pay attention to this during summer months.
Days: Every Wednesday – all year long – 2015
Time: 5:15 PM – 8:15 PM
Price: $39.00 Per Person
Meet: Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture – 135th Street & Malcolm X Blvd., on northwest corner in front of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. 2, 3 express (IRT – red line) trains arrives directly to location.